If the control panel of your GE dishwasher doesn’t have any lights or isn’t working, it means you won’t be able to use the dishwasher or get it to function properly and this can be a major issue.
This control panel is important for the dishwasher to function properly, as it controls the water pumping and heating during the cleaning cycle. Most times, the “no lights on the control panel” issue is caused by damage from a power surge or even a lightning strike.
GE Dishwasher No Lights on Control Panel [FIXED]
To troubleshoot and fix the issue with your GE dishwasher control panel, follow these steps:
1. Faulty Touchpad
To check if your dishwasher’s touchpad is faulty, do the following:
- Make sure the display is working. On most models, you need to press and hold a key for 5 seconds. Not all displays stay lit when engaged, so check if it shows an error code when pressed. Check your dishwasher’s manual to understand what the code means.
- If the display is working, check the buttons. Press them to see if they respond. If some buttons don’t work, it could be a problem with the touchpad. However, it could also be a hardware issue. In either case, it’s recommended to replace the touchpad. It’s easier to replace the touchpad alone rather than the entire control panel.
2. Faulty Thermal Fuse
If your dishwasher’s control panel doesn’t have any lights, it could be due to a damaged thermal fuse. The thermal fuse protects the dishwasher from overheating. When the fuse blows, the control panel won’t show any lights.
However, the dishwasher itself may still work fine, although some parts might need maintenance or replacement. It’s advisable to have a specialist examine the situation and ensure that your dishwasher is functioning optimally.
If you’re experiencing an issue with your dishwasher that doesn’t involve the controls, check for a blown thermal fuse near the control panel. Look for a small white or silver cylinder with two wires connected to it. To test the fuse for continuity, you can use a multimeter with a continuity setting.
To locate the thermal fuse, check next to the control board. If the circuit board is mounted vertically, the thermal fuse is usually nearby. If the circuit board is mounted horizontally, the thermal fuse will be on the right side.
The thermal fuse is typically positioned under a translucent cover. Carefully use a flathead screwdriver to remove the cover from the fuse. Insert the probes of your multimeter into the two holes on the fuse to test it for continuity. If there is no continuity, then the fuse would have to be replaced.
3. Electricity Issues
To troubleshoot electricity issues with your dishwasher, follow these steps:
- Ensure that the power cord of the dishwasher is plugged into the wall outlet.
- Check if the wall outlet has power. You can do this by plugging in another appliance and seeing if it works.
- If the outlet is providing power but it’s not reaching the dishwasher, there may be a problem with the wiring. Inspect the wiring inside the dishwasher for any issues.
- If you can’t find any visible problems with the dishwasher’s wiring, try resetting it before contacting a service technician.
4. Faulty Main Control Board
If you think the main control board of your dishwasher is faulty, it can cause various issues like unresponsive buttons or the dishwasher not starting at all. To troubleshoot this problem:
- Try unplugging the dishwasher from the power source and then plugging it back in. This may help refresh the connection. If the issue persists, you might need to replace the control board.
- To test the control board, unplug the dishwasher and remove the motherboard. Then, connect a power supply that you know is working to the motherboard.
If you are uncertain about these steps or need more detailed instructions, refer to your dishwasher’s manual or consider seeking assistance from a professional.
5. Child Feature is Activated
If the control panel of your GE dishwasher is not working, it could be because the child lock feature is turned on. To use the control panel, you need to disable the child lock first.
GE dishwashers have a child lock to keep kids away from the appliance. It’s also helpful in preventing accidents like getting hands or feet stuck in the bottom racks.
Here’s how you can turn off the Control Lock feature on GE dishwashers:
- Press and hold the LOCK button for three seconds.
- If prompted, enter your four-digit passcode.
- The lock icon will blink twice, indicating that the Control Lock feature has been turned off.
To find detailed instructions for your specific dishwasher model, refer to your product manual. You can also search for it online under sections like “Programming” or “Settings.”